These muffins are my favorite! I love the sweetness of the fresh raspberries and orange zest, and the light and soft texture of the almond cake. The sliced almonds lightly toast during baking, giving a crunchy and beautiful topping. You can serve them with brunch, enjoy them as a snack or dessert, or as a sweet and fruity breakfast addition.
Makes 16 Muffins
- 1/3 cup (80ml) milk
- ½ cup (120ml) oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup (100g) sugar
- 1 ¼ cups (125g) almond flour
- 1 cup (120g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ cups (6 ounces, 170g) fresh raspberries
- Juice from a whole orange
- Zest from a whole orange
- ¾ cup (85g) sliced almonds
- ¾ cup (130g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Wash your hands with warm soapy water.
- Wash the orange under cold running water and dry with a clean kitchen towel. Set the orange aside.
- Pour the raspberries into a colander and carefully rinse with cold running water. Raspberries are a very delicate fruit, so gently turn them over with your hand to wash them. Set the colander in a small bowl to drain.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a muffin pan with baking cups.
- In a large bowl, add the milk, oil, egg, and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, almond flour, all-purpose flour, and baking powder. Whisk to combine. Working in batches, add these dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and whisk until the ingredients are just combined.
- Use a zester to zest the orange peel.
- When the whole orange is zested, place the orange on a medium cutting board, press down firmly on the orange with the palm of your hand and roll the orange back and forth on the cutting board. This will help to juice the orange. Then cut the orange in half and squeeze the juice into a small bowl or use a juicer to extract the juice from both halves.
- Add the orange zest, orange juice, almonds, and chocolate chips to the batter. Stir gently to combine the ingredients.
- Add the raspberries to the batter and gently fold them into the batter. Avoid stirring them in because this may break the raspberries.
- Pour the batter into the muffin cups, filling each cup ¾ full. Top each muffin with a few sliced almonds.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Every oven is different and baking times may vary.
- Take the muffins out of the tray and let them cool for 10 minutes.
- Depending on the size of your muffin tray, repeat steps 11-13 until all remaining batter is used.