This is a delicious spring time soup, perfect for chilly or rainy evenings. The ginger gives a sweet and surprising flavor that pairs smoothly with the carrots and tomato in this quick lentil soup. Serve with a hearty whole wheat loaf and enjoy!
- ½ bunch green onions
- ½ cup (100g) dry red lentils
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups (700ml) vegetable broth
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 cup (150g) cherry tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- ¼ cup (65g) marinara sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Wash your hands with warm soapy water.
- In a colander, wash the green onions, carrot, and cherry tomatoes separately under cold running water. Dry them with a clean towel.
- To prepare the green onions, first remove any outside layers that are dirty or damaged. Gather all the stems and use a knife to cut away the bottom ½ inch (1.5cm) of the stems. Discard the roots. Slice the rest of the green onions into ¼ inch (0.5cm) pieces.
- Peel the carrot and slice it into thin halfmoons.
- Place the red lentils in a colander and remove any that are brown or black. Then rinse the lentils under cold running water.
- Add the oil and green onions to a medium pot. Cook on medium heat about 1 minute until the green onions begin to soften.
- Add the lentils and carrots. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth. Cover with a lid and raise the heat to high. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Simmer the soup on low for 20 minutes until the lentils are soft.
- In the meantime, cut the cherry tomatoes in half. Then remove the peel from the garlic clove and mince the garlic by cutting it into small pieces.
- Use a teaspoon to scrape the skin off a small piece of ginger root. Then mince the ginger by cutting it into small pieces. Use about 1 teaspoon of minced ginger.
- When the lentils are soft, add the cherry tomatoes, minced garlic and ginger, and marinara sauce. Stir to combine the ingredients.
- Increase the heat to medium and cook for 2 more minutes to heat the tomatoes.
- Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper, if you like.
- Ladle the soup into 2 bowls and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat leftovers before eating.